After a day at the Cake and Bake Show, a few interesting cake facts came to my attention:
1. There exists, a Coco Cola cake recipe – in case you don’t think your cake will be sweet enough with sugar…just when I thought I’d heard it all!
2. Someone somewhere even made a tomato soup cake. Yep.
3. “Let them eat cake” is the traditional translation of the French phrase “Qu’ils mangent de la brioche”, supposedly spoken by “a great princess” upon learning that the peasants had no bread. Since brioche was a luxury bread enriched with butter and eggs, the quotation would reflect the princess’s disregard for the peasants, or her poor understanding of their situation. Quote: Wikipedia.
4. In parts of the US single bridesmaids put a slice of cake beneath their pillows to dream of their future husbands, and according to an old English superstition, putting a fruit cake under your pillow would make you dream about the person you will marry. The Sunday Express.
5. National Cake Day is on 26th November (I’m guessing this is another day when we can all eat lots of cake and not feel bad about it).
Apparently, bacteria and germs are not huge fans of wood. In fact, wooden spoons are much safer than any other spoon thanks to their natural germ-killing properties.
6. Black forest cakes take their name from the German Black Forest, known for having the thickest fir/pine trees and deep red cherries.
7. The first known wedding cakes were actually loaves of bread.
8. Apparently, the world’s most expensive cake cost $35 million (who in their right mind….)
9. The phrase, “a piece of cake” (meaning easy or simple) originated in the US.
10. Apparently, at the Jaffa Cake factory, staff are encouraged to eat as many Jaffa Cakes as they like!!
As well as cake facts, I also found some generally weird looking cakes for you to inspect https://www.pinterest.co.uk/carolannkaplan2/weird-cakes/?lp=true I’m not sure what these would do for your appetite!!
If those didn’t raise an eyebrow, take a look at these: https://www.livinghours.com/weird-cakes/ honestly, the imagination knows no bounds! Whilst looking at stuff online I came across a lot of truly sick cake designs that made me question the sanity of some people.
13 thoughts on “10 Interesting Cake Facts!”
A little gem. <3
Thanks for following my blog dear😍
Thank you for all the likes – wow!!! Thank you for following too – best blogging wishes to you too 🍰😘🍴
Thank you dear😍
Youre always welcome
Very interesting! Coca Cola cake boy I bet that’s worth a taste
Fizzy drinks in cakes is a new one to me!
Dear Cherryl, I’ve had a Coca Cola cake recipe forever, it’s always everybody’s favorite, and it only has 3 – 5 ingredients (2 are optional). Here it is: https://koolkosherkitchen.wordpress.com/2016/05/05/cuba-libre-or-morena/
Thank you for a fascianting line up!
Ahh!!! I’d never heard of putting Coca Cola in a cake before 🍰😊
I’ll tell you something else: if you take any soda of your choice (Sprite, 7-up, etc.), any cake mix (white, yellow, strawberry, etc.), and any frosting you like, you can have yourself any cake you want. I am a chocoholic, so I make mine chocolate with coke.
Wow, I had no idea about these fizzy drinks cake hacks lol 😯😊
I’ve discovered these quite by accident and started experimenting. No eggs, no fat, no dairy products – what could be better?
Sounds good – as I like to keep dairy to a minimum!!